Wednesday, July 21, 2010

To Mr. Clift, with Love

That was the day my dream of many years came true.



Now let me tell you what this is all about. That's Montgomery Clift's town house in New York which I had the good fortune to visit.

I must also mention that I owe this visit to my one true love, who's also my only family and true friend in the western world. He was kind enough to take me there and understand my dream of many years and why I needed to visit the place. We both admitted later that the hunt for the place that cold evening, the long walk under the streetlights felt like an achievement as well as quite an emotional and spiritual experience in the end.

Most Monty fans would consider this a shrine. I got quite a few responses and inquiries when I posted a pic up on one site dedicated to the talented actor.

Edward Montgomery Clift was the pioneer of method acting though many like to give the more famous Marlon Brando( both Brando and Clift were from Omaha, Nebraska and were referred to as “the stardust twins” due to their similar acting methods and meteoric rise to fame) the credit. But Montyholics maintain Clift came before Brando.

As for me, while teaching myself cinema ( apart from a little course in film appreciation that I did, I used books, TV shows, DVDs and of course the internet to do the same), I bumped into ' A Place in the sun' one fine day, many years ago.

This very picture below depicts the first scene from the movie I saw- where he looks back, sees and is mesmerized by the beautiful Elizabeth Taylor.


It stayed with me for a long time and after that I explored many other films of his.

My research on Monty revealed that his work was indeed amazing and from then on I've confidently said that he is one of the most sensitive, handsome and intense actors to grace the silver screen. He was nominated for the Oscars a few times and his fans admit he should have won each time.

'From Here to Eternity' remains one of my favorite American movie of all time. And I really love it when Monty Clift as Pvt. Robert E. Lee 'Prew' Prewitt blurted out: "A man don't go his own way, he's nothing." That movie seemed to belong to Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr thanks to the romance element but Monty, Donna Reed and Frank Sinatra did their part to steal the show as well. Well, many think Prew didn't prove to be smart by being stubborn, but that dialogue is special because I strongly believe in something like that- having and maintaining an individuality of one's own no matter what.

Of course, in real life it's better if you are the 'wisely stubborn' type!

Babetude thinks, this was an actor who was truly committed to his craft. He started out with broadway as a youngster and only after loads of effort on part of Hollywood filmmakers, did he agree to take up movie roles. He didn't make too many movies, but excelled in most, other prominent ones being 'The Search', 'The Heiress', Alfred Hitchcock's 'I confess', 'Judgement at Nuremberg' and even played the complicated character of Sigmund Freud in 'Freud'.

He traveled a lot from his childhood itself and spoke many( mostly European) languages. Also, many don't know the fact that apart from being a natural born actor, he was also a good photographer and pursued the art as a hobby.

His long and remarkable friendship with Liz Taylor is much talked about too. It was extra ordinary because she was married to other men and didn't really have anything romantic with him. It was just a deep bond of understanding and love. She called him, "The most gorgeous thing in the world and easily one of the best actors" and he lovingly called her Bessie Mae.

He was even said to be good with kids, though he never married and had any of his own. The fact remains that most people he knew always admitted and maintained he was an excellent human being as well

Many film lovers know him for the brooding, sensitive, working-class roles and for ending up bitter and broken just like the characters he played. Just like how it happened to the more famous ones- George Eastman in 'A place in the sun' and Prew in 'From Here to Eternity'...

It's really sad that in real life, Clift was deeply tortured and plagued by multiple issues.

A long down hill struggle especially after a horrible car accident altered his handsome appearance. My heart breaks when I read and think about what he went through. It was almost like he was punished for being different, with no real fault of his.

Another tortured soul, Marilyn Monroe who was also a friend famously said about him: "The only person I know who is in worse shape than I am." Together they had made John Huston's 'The Misfits' in 1961, which turned out to be Monroe and Clark Gable's last film as well. This is another movie which has got critical acclaim over the years for great performances.



It's being said that when he bought the very same Manhattan townhouse( pictured above) at 217 East 61st Street and became involved in renovations, he reported to a close friend that he envisioned living there someday with a wife and children. But that was never to be...

23rd July is the anniversary of the day he left the world untimely. No wonder July gives me the blues. It's been many years but Clift still has a pretty strong fan base throughout the world.

The next plan for Babetude( in the years to come but hopefully soon) is to pay homage in real life once again in Prospect Park, Brooklyn where this gifted actor rests( after doing it many times online), at 6104 Hollywood Boulevard where he has his star on the Hollywood walk of fame and the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel where he stayed and practiced playing the bugle while shooting for 'From Here to Eternity.'

And someday I would also love to go to 'Happy Hawaii'( courtesy- ABBA, check the song below) where the very memorable 'From Here to Eternity' was based.


Babetude just loves giving attention to all those who deserve. For someone like Monty who unfortunately didn't get to come full circle in life despite having everything, this is the least I could do.

It was great saluting the fascinating Mr. Clift here today. Rest in peace, wherever you are, Monty.

No comments:

Post a Comment